Thursday 28 November 2013

Rosie Book Drawer Tutorial

The theme today at As You Like It Challenge is to showcase your favourite digi stamp.  I do love my digi images; they're so simple to print (with no risk of inky fingers!).  I also love that I can flip and resize them to fit my project.  However, I have so many that my favourites change all the time.

Bears are definitely always in my top picks, but at the moment I'm really loving the girlie Sugar Nellie cuties. The one I've used today, called Rosie, is one I have favoured a couple of times recently because she's so pretty.  I've also used my favourite digi paper brand, Nitwits on this project.

I refer to it as a 'project', because instead of making a card (why oh why didn't I just make a card!!!) I saw this book drawer over on Dian's amazing blog while I was 'Pinterest hopping' a couple of weeks ago, and I decided to have a go with some photo mount-board that I purchased for my recent clocks.

I seriously underestimated how long this project would take me to make, although to be fair, I did faff around a bit working out how to make it.

I made the outer part quite quickly by cutting a rectangle and scoring the spine, but the board was quite thick, so I had to peg it in place against the inside drawer frame overnight to ensure it was holding tightly.

Then the next day I made the drawer.

And the next day I inked it all up, and decorated it.

3 days!!!

Here's how I did it:

Outer Cover:

  1. Cut a rectangle in thick card 23cm x 13cm.
  2. Score it at 9.5cm and 4cm measured in from one of the short edges.
  3. Score a series of lines between the two existing score lines at tight intervals to create the spine.
  4. Bend the cover into shape.
Drawer Encasement:
  1. Cut a rectangle 12cm x 23cm.
  2. Score it at 4cm, 7cm, 15.5cm and 18.5cm from one of the short edges.
  3. Shape it into a box open at both ends.
  4. Stick it inside the book cover sticking to both the front and back "covers".
Drawer:
  1. Cut a rectangle 17.5cm x 13.75cm.
  2. Score a line 2.75cm in from each of the 4 edges.
  3. Cut 2.75cm slits along the scoreline you've created on both sides of each short edge.
  4. Fold the box up and stick the tabs on the insides to hold the sides up.
  5. Insert the drawer into the encasement. Because the encasement is open at both ends, the drawer can be opened by pushing it through from either end. If it's a tight fit (as mine is) it won't open without being pushed quite hard.
Decorating:
  1. Using a rough brush, dab it in brown ink (I used Walnut Stain DI reinker)
  2. Streak it in straight lines along the edges of the insert and the drawer to resemble 'pages'.
  3. Ink around the top of the drawer and the edges of the cover to match.
  4. Decorate the rest of your book as you wish.
.... and relax!

Because it took me sooooo long to make, I'm going to bore you all with some more pics!   

Brace yourself ...










And before I disappear, (if you're still with me), I have some news ...


Yup, I'm back with my old (and some new) teamies at Crafty Little Fairies.  The adorable Squirrel asked me last week and I couldn't possibly refuse her, so woohoo, I'm back!!
Thanks hun.  Love ya loads.  :0)

I think my first outing will be next week (if I get my arse in gear and get creating), but in the meantime this week's theme is Red & Green Christmas, so pop over to see what the fairies have created and join in the Fairy Fun.


See my cards available to buy on eBay

eBay


Card Recipe:
I've been inspired by:
Happy crafting.
Annette
xx

17 comments:

Sarah said...

I can't quite put into words how outstanding I think this is Annette!! Everything about it screams exquisite!! xx

Chrissy said...

Oh! What a fabuluos project Annette and I adore your wee Fairy Rosie..gorgeous colouring and details.Congratulations and welcome aboard at Crafty Little Fairies..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Squirrel x said...

Oh. Oh. Oh Em Gee!! This is absolutely amazing and gorgeous and yummy and I want it!!! Well worth all the time and effort hun, stunning result.
Welcome back to the Fairies hun, so glad you couldn't resist me, lol!! Hugs xx

Mojca said...

Such an amazing project! Love the vintage look of your book drawer and the digi is really sweet. hugs! Mojca

Helen in the UK said...

Congrats on your DT reappointment. Well deserved :)

lis-m said...

Hey Netty, this is just stunning... I may have to have a dabble at that myself... thanks for the instructions!
Good to see you back at CLF too, well done!
hugs xxx

Wendy L said...

Well worth the effort, gorgeous, xxx

Carol S. said...

Hi Annette, The best 3 days you have spent?! Absolutely fantastic. Love everything about it. Glad you are back with the Little Fairies DT. Hugs, Carol S.xx

Christine L said...

You never cease to amaze me Annette... this is yet another stunning creation!!! I really looks antiqued... and that image is so perfect with it too.. You're such a clever girl... thanks for sharing the tutorial too.... and all the fab pics!

Big hugs
Christine x

Unknown said...

Oh, wow... This is so beautiful, Annette! :)
Have an awesome day...

Wishcraft said...

Ooh! I just love this Annette, it's FAB!! Great to have you back as a fairy... you left as I was joining (will try not to take it personally lol), looking forward to being teamies :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Marianne's Craftroom said...

So gorgeous, love SN fairies. Congrats on joining us as a fairy, am now a follower x

crafty-stamper said...

Fantastic book well worth the time effort love the effect and texture and beautiful image and embellishments-you will want to keep this now !
carol x

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Stunning creation Annette! Love it!! A lot of work, but the payoff is awesome, totally fabulous hun. Congrats on being back on the 'fairies' team too. Hugs, Wends x

Juls said...

Wow wow wow this is just so amazing!! Thanks so much 4 joining us in the sugar bowl!! Hugs Juls xxx

nnalorac said...

This is just adorable Annette, so love it. Going to be having a go soon! Thanks for my lovely card. Sorry I'm late getting round, been caught up with family and takes it's toll. Best wishes, Carolxx

Pami said...

This is just stunning Annette! Thanks for sharing with us at the Sugar Bowl this month! Hope to see you again soon! Pami x